Call 1-800-528-6208

Bilingual Extension Certification

Mercy College

Bilingual Extension Certification

NYSUT’s Education & Learning Trust (NYSUT ELT) and Mercy College have partnered to make it easier for teachers to pursue New York State Bilingual certification through its expanded online program.

Bilingual Extension to a Teaching Certificate (15 credits)

Applicants to the program are required to possess a NYS teaching certificate, and successfully complete the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA). The Bilingual Extension certification requires training for the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) and participation in a college supervised field experience.

NYSUT ELT Core Courses:
EDUC 505 Teaching English as a Second Language (3 credits)
EDUC 508 Theory and Practice of Bilingual Education (3 credits)

Mercy Courses:
EDUC 509 Linguistics and Language Development, from Birth through Adulthood (3 credits)
EDUC 602 Native Language Arts and Social Studies in Bilingual Education (3 credits)
EDUC 604 Mathematics and Science Bilingual Education (3 credits)

*After completing NYSUT core course(s) with a grade of B or above, students formally apply to Mercy College for matriculation in order to complete remaining requirements.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Students are NOT eligible to register for a Mercy sponsored course through NYSUT ELT or UFT if:

  • they have already completed 15 Mercy College credits through NYSUT ELT or UFT
  • they are currently enrolled in a Mercy College degree or Advanced Certificate Program
  • they are on a financial hold with Mercy College OR
  • they were academically dismissed by Mercy College

ELT is not responsible for reimbursement of tuition for students who register for any Mercy courses if they meet any of the above criteria.

NYSUT ELT is an approved provider of DASA training. Please contact us for more information.

Be mindful: New York State regulation (effective Fall of 2016) requires that all graduate schools of education use a standardized test as part of the admission process. If you are planning to matriculate into a Graduate Education Program, you will have to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in order to meet this new regulation.